We store cookies on your device to make sure we give you the best experience on this website. I'm fine with this - Turn cookies off
Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Can I help?

As a regional MSP from 2007 to 2016, I represented people in all 10 North East constituencies - Banffshire & Buchan Coast, Aberdeenshire East, Aberdeenshire West, Aberdeen Donside, Aberdeen Central, Aberdeen South & North Kincardine, Angus North & Mearns, Angus South, Dundee City East and Dundee City West. As well as a constituency MSP, you also have seven regional MSPs. I was able to assist with problems that you might have been having, or to raise issues on your behalf.

If you are not sure which constituency or region you live in, or who your MSPs are, then you can find out by following this link:

Who are my MSPs?

Devolved matters:

Devolved matters are those that the Scottish Parliament has responsibility for. These are the issues that an MSP can take up on your behalf.

The areas that Holyrood is responsible for include housing, healthcare, education, transport, policing, prisons, justice, local government, forestry, fishing and agriculture.

If you have a problem, wish to raise a policy issue, or make an inquiry on a subject that falls under one of those categories, then you can contact me as a Member of the Scottish Parliament, and I can take up the matter on your behalf.

There are a number of ways in which I am able to help - from taking up issues on your behalf with the appropriate agency, association or government department; to meeting with representatives from the local council, the government or other involved parties. I can raise particular issues directly with a minister at parliament.

If you are unsure as to the best course of action to take on your issue, then I am always more than happy to discuss it with you.

Other matters:

While there are many issues that the Scottish Parliament has responsibility for, certain policy areas remain reserved to the UK Parliament at Westminster. These include foreign policy, defence, national security, immigration, employment legislation and most fiscal policy. If you need help on one of these things, then you should contact your local MP, who you can find by following this link:

Who is my MP?

While planning is devolved to the Scottish Parliament, it is important to note that MSPs cannot act either for or against any specific planning application. I would be happy to pass on views to the appropriate planning committees, but for planning matters, the best person to contact is your local councillor - you can find their contact details on the council pages found from the 'Links' section of this website.

I would also like to note that while I could act on your behalf on certain matters relating to the justice system, I am unable to offer any legal advice to you.

The advice above is just a guide - if you're not certain who you are meant to contact, then get in touch with me. Even if I am not able to help you directly, I will be able to put you in touch with someone who can.